Tuesday, March 22, 2011

10 K all the way


I was not sure if I could run the St. Pats race I had signed up for, because Thursday night my allergies kicked in and I slept awful and could not breath out of my nose at all. I have been averaging one box of kleenex a day....

But I woke up Saturday and decided that I would wing it. I was excited! So I got dressed and Jenny picked me up and we drove to Aggiville. There is just so much adrenaline in the air on race day...I am not super competitive at all. I mean I got passed by so many runners, almost all maybe...and I was thinking I would just walk what I couldn't do. I ran with my friend Brooke, were about the same pace. It was a great day to run, about 40 degress, cold but once we got running it was fine. It rained on us a little but it felt good. Once I got running I didn't want to stop. So we ended up running it all.....we were both surprised. The last time I ran this race it was 2006 I think, and my time was I beleive 1 hr 15 minutes. I had trained using Hal Higdons 10k program, because that is what Ben's sister Sandi recommended and she is a runner as well. She ran Chicago marathon a few years ago!
This time I did not train but I joined a gym (with a childcare) recently and have gone weekly to classes with strenth training and some cardio Monday and Wednesday. Friday mornings I spin with Camala and this has really strengthened my legs I think. Plus its been so great to get some space away from being mom for a while, and I can do that when I work out, its a huge stress reliever for me. This time my race time was 1 hr. 19 mintues without training, so I thought it would have been cool to beat my time from 06 but I was not disappointed! Thanks to Brooke for running with my and pulling me through the last mile, my legs were hurting!!


Here is a picture of me at home after the race. I didnt take my camera but Camala did so maybe I can post some race pictures later.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Kristin! I admire you (for carving out time to work out and for taking on a 10K)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Stud!!! You're awesome!! I'm so proud of you for challenging yourself! Running makes me a better wife and mom, too!! Love you. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete